Frequently asked questions

Below is the list of our frequently asked questions. If your question is not answered below, please contact us.

1. What is Select Move?
Select Move is an allocations scheme. We advertise Housing Association (Registered Provider) and occasionally private rented homes. All available properties are advertised each week and applicants who are eligible and qualify to join Select Move’s housing register or the Open Property Register can express an interest in properties for which they want to be considered.

2. How can I apply to Select Move?
You can register and apply directly online. Please complete the housing register application in full. Alternatively you can contact the Select Move partners on 0800655 6785.. You must provide supporting information with your completed application. . Please see our Select Move guide to see if you will be accepted onto the Housing  or Open Property Register.

3. Will I need to provide any additional information with my application?
Yes. All new applications and amendments will require proof of identity. This will include;

  • Proof of your current address
  • Proof of your National Insurance Number
  • Photo ID if you have it if you do not have photo ID you will need to provide another form of ID
  • Proof of employment in Preston, South Ribble or Chorley if applicable
  • A landlord reference may be required
  • Proof of your local connection to Preston, Chorley or South Ribble area dating back five years (This can be by living in the borough yourself, having close family members living in the borough, or working in the borough).
  • If you have children you need to show proof of child benefit  that shows the names of all of the children who live with you, this is usually your benefit award letter.
  • In some circumstances you may need to provide information from the Border and Immigration Agency.
  • Your service record if you have served in the Armed Forces
  • 5 year address history

If you fail to provide the information within 28 days you will not be registered.

4. I am under 16, can I still apply for re-housing?
You are not eligible to join the Housing Register if you are under 16.  If you are between 16 and 18 you may qualify in certain circumstances and will need a guarantor. This means someone aged over 18 who will take responsibility for paying your rent if you are unable to pay.

5. How will I know what band I have been put into?
This will depend on your living circumstances and if you have a priority under Select Move’s allocation policy. When you register with Select Move you will receive a letter confirming your band and an information pack including a summary of the policy in booklet form. You can also view the reasons for priority on our website. The bands are A to E and there is a separate Open Property Register.

6. I think I might be in the wrong band what should I do?
You may not have provided us with all the necessary information. If this is the case we will have another look at your application. If you still disagree you have the right to have our decision reviewed . This must be done within 28 days of the decision. You should give the reasons why you disagree with the decision. We may ask you for further information to help us to carry out the review. We will write to you with the outcome.

7. What if I have a change in circumstances?
If you have a change in your circumstances you should complete an online update to your  housing  application, or contact us. This will allow us to keep your application up to date. If you are not sure if you should complete an update please contact us on 0800 655 6785 and we will let you know what information we need. We may put your application in pending if we need you to provide further information.

8. What are registration and effective dates?
Registration and effective dates are important because they give you priority within your band.  If you have been given priority your application will be based on your effective date and this will be the date you became entitled to a priority band.  Customers with earlier effective dates will be offered properties before customers with later dates.

9. I need an adapted property, what do I need to do?
If you feel you need an adapted property or adaptations you should contact us and ask for a medical self assessment form. In some cases we will ask an occupational therapist to have a look at your case to see if you need rehousing or if adaptations would be the best option..

10. Will adapted properties be advertised?
 Most adapted properties will be advertised so applicants can bid on them if they are suitable and in the area they would like to live. Applicants will be given priority for these adapted properties if an occupational therapist has made the assessment as requiring rehousing. Once the bidding cycle has closed a final assessment will be made to ensure the property meets your needs before an offer is made.

11. What is a bidding cycle and when will properties be advertised?
The bidding cycle is the length of time properties are advertised as being available. From  8th November 2019 properties can  be  added any  day of the  week Monday  to  Friday  and are  advertised for  5 days. The time you bid does not affect your final position as homes are allocated to the bidder with the highest priority. You can search  on  properties by the added most recently  search on the property search page.   

12. What is a bid?
Placing a bid is the way that you let us know you want to be considered for a property. No money is involved. A bid is simply an expression of interest placed against a property. You can bid either on our website, by phone, or in person at any partner offices. When you bid you will be placed in a shortlist. Once the advertising cycle has finished your final queue position will be shown on your Select Move account page.

13. When can I start to bid for properties?
You can bid as soon as we have made your application ‘active’. Your application will be made active when it has been approved and all the required documents have been received. When your application is activated we will send you a Select Move guide with advice on how to place a bid.

14. How do I bid for a property?
You can bid in various ways: logging into your account page ,
 In person at any Select Move partners office
 Contacting the Select Move partners on 0800 655 6785

You will have to give certain details to be able to make your bid. These are your login reference, your pin number and the property reference number if you have it.

15. How many bids will I be able to make each week?
You can  make as many  bids as you  like. Please make  sure that you read all the property details before placing a bid.   

16. Can I change the bids I have made?
Yes, you can withdraw bids and add new ones while the proeprties  are  being  advertised.

17. Why has my shortlist position changed?
Your position can change if other customers with an earlier effective or registration date bid on the same property as you, or if customers above you in the shortlist withdraw their bid within the bidding cycle.

18. Can I check where I am in a shortlist for a particular property?
Yes, you can do this within the bidding cycle through your online Select Move account page or by contacting us on the 0800 655 6785 telephone line. However, your final position will only be shown once the bidding cycle has been closed.

19. How will available properties be assigned to the bands?
Properties will be advertised on a quota basis ensuring that each property type within each area will be rotated as priority for each band.  This is to give opportunity of all property types and areas to all bands. However if a property has adaptations which will make it suitable for people with certain needs then priority will be given to customers who have been assessed by an occupational therapist and have a confirmed need for an adapted property. Where this is the case it will be shown on the advert.

20. How will I be allocated a property?
We look at the list of customers who have placed bids once the bidding cycle has closed and offer the property to the first eligible person with the earliest registration or effective date who qualifies for the offer and meets any attached criteria..

21. How will I know if I have been successful?
If you are successful, we will contact you once the bidding cycle has closed to check your details are correct and then offer you the property if you are still eligible and qualify for the offer. You will not be considered for any other properties until you have made a decision on the offer. It is important that you keep your telephone contact details up to date. If you do not respond to us or cannot make yourself available to attend a viewing we will move on to the next customer.

22. How long will I have to decide whether to accept an offer of accommodation?
You will be given 48 hours to make a decision on an offer of accommodation, however, if the property is ready to let only 24 hours will be given to make a decision.

23. What will happen if I have been unsuccessful?
You will not be contacted if you are unsuccessful, but we will publish details of each property including the address, successful customer’s band, effective date or registration date, and how many bids have been made. This information is on our recent lets page. You can search on the recent lets page for specific property outcomes and see how many properties have become vacant in the areas of your choice to help you make informed decisions about your chances of being re-housed.

24. What happens if I refuse a property?
If you are in a priority band for homelessness or medical reasons and you refuse a property, your priority may be removed.

If you are in the other  bands and repeatedly refuse reasonable offers your application may be closed and you will need to reapply to the waiting list.

Each case will be assessed individually as to the reason for the refusal. You will be informed in writing and given the right of review within 28 days of the decision if your priority is removed or your application is closed

25. I am a Council or Registered Provider tenant, how can I advertise my property for a mutual exchange?
You can advertise your property for a mutual exchange by logging in to your account and completing an on on-line mutual exchange advert. Other customers will then be able to contact you. If you are interested in an exchange you need to contact your landlord to get the paperwork to apply for a mutual exchange.

26. I am affected by welfare reform, what options are available to me?
If you are affected by welfare reform and you are under occupying your property you can consider a mutual exchange to a smaller property. You do this by registering and viewing mutual exchange properties and contacting other tenants to exchange homes. You will need to seek permission from your landlord before completing a mutual exchange. You may also be eligible for a priority on the Housing Register.

27. I am worried I might become homeless, what can I do?
You can seek advice from the Council’s Housing Options service at either Preston Chorley or South Ribble depending on where you live. The staff can offer advice about your current housing situation and other housing options.

28. What is a local connection and how long does it have to be for?
A local connection with the Select Move area must be for the previous five years and proof will be required. A local connection is either;

  • Lived in the Select Move area, you must be able to demonstrate that you have lived here for 6 out of the last 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years, or
  • Employed in the Select Move area for the 9 out of the last 12 months for a minimum of 16 hours per week on a permanent contract  or,
  • Direct family who have lived in one of the Select Move areas continuously for at least 5 years  (Parents, Adult siblings or children)
  • Received or given long term care to/from a person who permanently resides in the area.
  • You make a positive contribution or undertake voluntary work in the area for a minimum of 10 hours per month over the last 12 months.

There are some exceptions such as assessed homeless households and some Armed Forces personnel and their families.

29. What happens if I do not meet any of the local connection criteria?
You will not be able to join the Select Move Register until you can demonstrate you have a local connection and meet any of the above.  Alternatively, you may be eligible for the Open Property Register.

30. I own my home can I still join the Register?
It was agreed under the new policy that homeowners will not be able to join the Housing Register. This applies if you own or have a financial interest in a property, or have transferred ownership of a property but have continuing rights to live there. An exception to this will be made if you have an assessed housing need which you are unable to resolve you may also be eligible for the Open Property Register..

31. I own my own home but cannot manage it any longer due to my health needs, what do I do?
You should contact us and request a medical self assessment form to complete so we can assess if you have a medical need to move, and whether you are unable to resolve your own housing need. Your application will not be made active until the assessment has been carried out.

32. I am a foster carer; will I be given a priority?
You may be eligible for priority once we receive proof that you are an agreed foster carer and if your current home is unsuitable for your household and you cannot resolve your own circumstances.

33. If I owe any money from a previous tenancy will I be able to join the housing register?
You may not be able to join the Housing Register. We will make a decision after taking into account how much you owe to your landlord and your current circumstances. We will write to tell you the outcome.

34. What happens if I owe rent at my present home?
Normally you would not be allowed to join the register if you owe rent. We would usually expect you to clear this debt before any offers of accommodation are made, depending on your circumstances. Any Select Move partner tenants who are subject to changes in welfare reform will be assessed individually. Please let us know if this is you.

35. I am a single person, will I be eligible for a two bedroom flat or bungalow?
Yes, single people are now eligible for one and two bedroom flats or bungalows. If you claim Housing Benefit and are of working age you should consider the effects of welfare reform and if you are able to afford the rent. You may only be eligible to claim housing benefit for one bedroom.

36. I am in the Armed Forces and ready to be discharged will I get a priority?
We will need confirmation you are being discharged from the Armed Forces, have an urgent housing need and are returning to the Select Move area. If you have been discharged within the last five years we will also take this in to account. This also applies to those;

  • Leaving armed forces with no suitable accommodation and in urgent housing need
  • Those injured or disabled needing urgent rehousing
  • Bereaved spouses or civil partners who will no longer be entitled to live in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence and do not have alternative suitable accommodation

You may be entitled to priority following confirmation of discharge, duration of service in the forces  and proof of housing circumstances.

37. I am in prison can I go on to the Housing Register?
You can apply to the Select Move register, however your application will only be activated when you have a release date. No offers of accommodation will be made until you are released. You qualification for a property may be affected by your offending history.

38. How long will I have to wait for a home?
It is difficult to predict accurately how long you will have to wait. It all depends on what area you are looking for, what type of property you need, what band you are in and your date. Look at the recent lets page at where you can search by property type and area to see how long other applicants with the same band and a similar date to you waited to be rehoused. This information can help you understand your chances of being rehoused.

39. Why do you want to talk to me about my income and outgoings?
We want to assist you in preparing for your new tenancy by offering advice and support including any additional benefits or grants and highlight any areas where you may need assistance.  We also need to ensure that you can afford to live in your new home.